Seating in front of my computer to write my last Blog on the last day of the year, the first scenario that comes to mind is this:
“After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, it came to pass that the Lord spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, saying: Moses My servant is dead. Now therefore, arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them—the children of Israel.
Let’s break down these two verses to find the final word of 2016.
1. Moses is dead. A great season of sign, wonders, miracles and great events in the life of the Jewish people was coming to an end. 365 days are just passing; you can categorize them as a season. It may have been the greatest you had in many years, but the fact remains 2016 is dead. There is nothing you or I can do to bring them back. Yes, of course, the great moments are now part of our memories, and the results can be cherished and enjoyed, but the fact remains 2016 is dead.
2. Now therefore, The early rays of a brand new dawn are beginning to hit you in the face. Maybe you thought the accomplishments of 2016 were good enough for you to relax, take it easy, go on a long vacation, etc. Nothing doing, a new day is calling, and it is saying loudly, ARISE! Do not make that mistake. Your triumphs of 2016, huge as they were, will not suffice for the success of a New Year. New Level-New devils!
3. Go over this Jordan. I see a strong paradigm shifting on the horizon of the upcoming year for many people. You can very well be one of them. The Jordan represents the past or 2016. Now we got to get over that. Prepare to face the change coming your way. Avoid dwelling in the success or failure of 2016. As terrible as your situation might have been this year, you need to put it behind you. Perhaps you were told you have an incurable disease or just got divorced or laid off from your job or lost your house or a dear one. I hear the Lord saying go over that hump! You must. Get over it period.
4. You and all this people. At times we forget we are not alone. We live in a community of people. It does not matter if you have a family or not. There are people looking at you. There are those who consider you valuable and important in their lives. The decisions you make can affect them. They are counting on you to make the right choices for them. Even your cat is hoping you would go to the store for him and get some food or your dog hoping that you would take him for a walk. The people in your life deserve your best so get over what happened in 2016!
5. To the land which I am giving to them. Hope is a target and faith is what gets you there. There are unfulfilled promises that you and those who walk with you were hoping to see in 2016, but it did not happen. I remember when I was a kid we used to sing a chorus that would say “24,000 promises are mine, 24,000 promises are mine” Well, you can’t find in the Bible, that God made that many promises to His children, but I didn’t care! I would claim those and more if I had to. I want to encourage you. Maybe you are sterile, and your life’s desire is to be a mother. Well, that is a promise that God can fulfill for you in 2017. Forget that it didn’t take place in 2016. Get a hold of the fact that it is a real promise and it can happen in 2017. Be confident of the fact that He will be with you in the new season as He was with you in 2016! Open your arms and receive the new with gladness and treasure the great moments of 2016.